The Practical Bankruptcy Law course is designed to prepare you for specialized positions with law firms dealing in bankruptcy cases. This course provides the building blocks of bankruptcy law by explaining bankruptcy cases from the perspective of the debtor, the trustee, and the creditor. You’ll learn the special rules and procedures that must be followed in each type of case. This course also explains how cases are commenced, converted, dismissed, and closed. The e-text that accompanies this course covers all the basic, underlying concepts of bankruptcy law and the procedural rules governing bankruptcy cases. Each topic discussed within the text is clear and easy to grasp, even if you are a beginning paralegal, yet there’s enough depth to advance you if you’re already an experienced paralegal. Prepare for your specialized role!
Practical Bankruptcy Curriculum
Lesson 1: History and Introduction
- A Short History of Bankruptcy
- Introduction to the Bankruptcy Code
- Filing a Petition
- Chapter 1—General Provisions
- Needs Based Bankruptcy or “Means Testing”
- Useful Definitions—Section 101
Lesson 2: Debtor Relief
- Overview of Chapter 7
- Conversion and Dismissal
- Trustees, Examiners, and Creditors’ Committees
- Preparing a Proceeding for a Trustee
Lesson 3: Bankruptcy Litigation
- The Automatic Stay—11 U.S.C. §362
- Objections to Discharge and the Dischargeability of Individual Debts
- Property of the Estate and Turnover Complaints
- Avoiding Powers—Introduction
- Avoidable Preferences—11 U.S.C. §547
- Fraudulent and Postpetition Transfers
Lesson 4: Liquidation and Claims
- Use, Sale, or Lease of Property
- Executory Contracts and Leases
- Miscellaneous Provisions Regarding Property of the Estate
Lesson 5: Reorganization Proceedings
- Chapter 13: Reorganization Proceedings
- Chapter 11: Introduction and Administration
- Chapter 11: Elements of a Plan
- Chapter 11: Plan Confirmation
- Chapter 12: Reorganization Proceedings
Lesson 6: Review
- Introduction to Courts and Jurisdiction
- Statements and Schedules Tutorial
- Means Testing Tutorial
- Researching Bankruptcy Issues
Practical Bankruptcy Law Course Materials
Blackstone will provide you with the following tools for your success in the Practical Bankruptcy Law course, all of which are included in your tuition:
Practical Bankruptcy Law online Study Guide
Basic Bankruptcy Law for Paralegals, by David L. Buchbinder. ISBN 978-1-4548-3133-4
Your e-book is delivered via VitalSource, one of the most popular and user-friendly e-textbook platforms for higher education. With VitalSource, you can change the page layout to suit your reading needs and easily search for keywords, tables and graphics throughout the text. You also have access to highlighting and note tools to help you make the most of your studies. You have the ability to work online or off…wherever it is convenient for you!
You will gain unlimited access to Blackstone’s Online Student Center, where you can download your Practical Bankruptcy Law Study Guide, take exams and receive instantaneous Grade Reports, chat real-time with other students, participate in online discussions, and receive news about Blackstone.
A quality education is an investment in your future. Blackstone’s online certificate training programs are designed to be affordable while providing excellence in education and student services. The knowledge and skills you gain during the time you are working toward your certificate at BCI is what sets us apart and will set you apart from other employees. Your employment options will grow as you gain an expertise in a specialized area and you will be prepared with the knowledge you need to advance your career and earn more money. You may also use your work at BCI toward your CLE needs if you are certified.
Your Advanced Paralegal Practical Bankruptcy Law Course tuition fee includes:
- All instruction and exam evaluation
- Access to our state-of-the-art Online Student Center
- Lifetime access to student forums and chat rooms
- Full student services and support during your program
- Latest edition e-textbook included with your certificate course
- Comprehensive online study guide prepared by faculty and reviewed by subject matter experts
- Exam grade reports with references for questions answered incorrectly
- Automatic six-month time extension—an exceptional value!
- Official BCI school transcript
- An embossed Practical Bankruptcy Law certificate upon completion of program requirements
Regular Tuition Price $396
Payment Plan Options
We offer a payment plan with a 100% approval rate for our advanced paralegal courses—you are already pre-approved for a low down payment and low monthly installments so you can afford your BCI training!
Student Tuition 0% Interest Free Program
You pay a $160.00 down payment & 4 monthly payments of $59.00
Methods of Payment
You may use your Visa, Discover, Master Card, or American Express Card to securely enroll online. You may also pay in full for your program by money order or corporate check or personal check.
If you’re looking for information on becoming a paralegal, visit our paralegal program page for more information about paralegal training and careers.