Tort law is in the arena of law that is primarily responsible for trying to make citizens whole after they have been injured by the wrongs (torts) of others. Lawsuits concerning torts are numerous, and there are many opportunities for paralegals specializing in this field. Are you ready to move up in your firm? The Personal Injury/Torts course covers the essential topics that you will need to know if you plan to work in tort law or the personal injury field. It also addresses the skills you must develop in order to become an effective paralegal during the discovery and review of medical records, and during the tort litigation process before and after trial. The e-text that comes with this course will help you gain a deeper understanding of substantive torts topics. You will also explore the role you will play as a paralegal on a personal injury case. The textbook contains an expanded coverage of medical malpractice and an enhanced treatment of ethics. You will learn the legal terms of torts and personal injury law, definitions of the various types of torts and the defenses a defendant can raise to each, and receive instruction in drafting documents commonly used in this area of law.
Personal Injury and Torts Curriculum
Lesson 1: Personal Injury/Torts 1
- Introduction to Torts and Negligence
- First Element of Negligence: Duty
- Second Element of Negligence: Breach of Duty
Lesson 2: Personal Injury/Torts 2
- Third Element of Negligence: Causation of Injury
- Fourth Element of Negligence: Damages
- Special Issues Related to Negligence
Lesson 3: Personal Injury/Torts 3
- The Defenses to Negligence
- Medical Malpractice
Lesson 4: Personal Injury/Torts 4
- Intentional Torts to Persons
- Intentional Torts to Property
- The Defenses to Intentional Torts and Immunities
Lesson 5: Personal Injury/Torts 5
- Strict Liability and Products Liability
- Workers’ Compensation
Lesson 6: Personal Injury/Torts 6
- Discovery and Review of Medical Records
- The Tort Litigation Process Before Trial
- The Tort Litigation Process During Trial
Personal Injury and Torts Course Materials
Blackstone will provide you with the following tools for your success in the Personal Injury and Torts course, all of which are included in your tuition:
Personal Injury and Torts online Study Guide
Personal Injury and the Law of Torts, 2nd Edition, 2012, by Emily Lynch Morissette. ISBN 9781454809708
Your e-book is delivered via VitalSource, one of the most popular and user-friendly e-textbook platforms for higher education. With VitalSource, you can change the page layout to suit your reading needs and easily search for keywords, tables and graphics throughout the text. You also have access to highlighting and note tools to help you make the most of your studies. You have the ability to work online or off…wherever it is convenient for you! Click here to learn more about the benefits of VitalSource e-books.
You will gain unlimited access to Blackstone’s Online Student Center, where you can download your Personal Injury and Torts Study Guide, take exams and receive instantaneous Grade Reports, chat real-time with other students, participate in online discussions, and receive news about Blackstone.
A quality education is an investment in your future. Blackstone’s online certificate training programs are designed to be affordable while providing excellence in education and student services. The knowledge and skills you gain during the time you are working toward your certificate at BCI is what sets us apart and will set you apart from other employees. Your employment options will grow as you gain an expertise in a specialized area and you will be prepared with the knowledge you need to advance your career and earn more money. You may also use your work at BCI toward your CLE needs if you are certified.
Your Advanced Paralegal Personal Injury and Torts Course tuition fee includes:
- All instruction and exam evaluation
- Access to our state-of-the-art Online Student Center
- Lifetime access to student forums and chat rooms
- Full student services and support during your program
- Latest edition e-textbook included with your certificate course
- Comprehensive online study guide prepared by faculty and reviewed by subject matter experts
- Exam grade reports with references for questions answered incorrectly
- Automatic six-month time extension—an exceptional value!
- Official BCI school transcript
- An embossed Personal Injury and Torts certificate upon completion of program requirements
Regular Tuition Price $396
Payment Plan Options
We offer a payment plan with a 100% approval rate for our advanced paralegal courses—you are already pre-approved for a low down payment and low monthly installments so you can afford your BCI training!
Student Tuition 0% Interest Free Program
You pay a $160.00 down payment & 4 monthly payments of $59.00
Methods of Payment
You may use your Visa, Discover, Master Card, or American Express Card to securely enroll online. You may also pay in full for your program by money order or corporate check or personal check.
If you’re looking for information on becoming a paralegal, visit our paralegal program page for more information about paralegal training and careers.